Featured in the Baltimore Sun/November 2013
CLICK HERE to read article
SPORT PSYCHOLOGY & performance enhancement
My background includes:
- A Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology and coursework specific to Sport Psychology
- Ongoing Pro career in Handball (Ranked 4th by the WPH: 40+ Pro 2016, 26 National Titles)
- Published author through the World Players of handball (see http://wphlive.tv/category/elite-handball/wrap-around/)
- Published author (quarterly) in Handball Magazine, the official magazine of the United States Handball Association
- Certified Level-5 referee in Handball
- Certified USHA Instructor in Handball
- 10-years as the Maryland Handball Commissioner
I have been an athlete my whole life, and I strongly believe in the values gained from participating in sports. As an athlete, I am uniquely familiar with the role sports play at an elite, amateur and junior level. As a Psychologist I have over 20-years’ experience in counseling. One of my greatest joys is working with athletes.
There are various functions a Sport Consultant can fulfill, including but not limited to:
- Enhancing overall performance;
- Developing mental strategies (visualization, self-talk and relaxation techniques);
- Overcoming obstacles (e.g., fears) and rising to meet one’s potential;
- Coping with the pressures of competition that can lead to anxiety and/or depression;
- Dealing with pressure from parents, coaches and self;
- Recovering from injuries; dealing with athletic retirement;
- Keeping up with an exercise program and staying invested;
- Increasing motivation to compete and learn, particularly during periods of adversity.
I welcome questions regarding my philosophy and strategies for working with individuals and teams interesting in gaining the added strength of developing mental fitness.